In response to alert of armed suspect in building:
- If you are in a classroom or office, STAY THERE; if in a hallway and you are not close to an exit, get in a room. Do not hide in restrooms.
- Secure the room: lock or barricade the door, cover any windows. Get out of sight from the door; stay low and quiet.
- Call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Use emergency information sources to get further information and instructions.
- Follow directions of emergency personnel when they arrive on the scene.
If trapped with armed suspect:
- Do not do anything to provoke the armed suspect. If no shooting is occurring, do what the armed suspect says and do not move suddenly.
- If shooting is occurring, you need to make a choice: stay still, run for an exit while zigzagging, or attack the shooter. This is very dangerous. Any option chosen may result in a negative consequence.